I’ve recently connected with the talented registered dietitian and nutrition coach, Laura Gaston @busygalnutrition on IG. (How cool is it that we can connect and make like minded friends this way? #womensupportingwomen)
She is local to Birmingham, AL and owns an online nutrition coaching business focused on teaching very busy women how to lose fat and keep it off with fun real food. She is all about helping women ditch diets by learning about their unique nutrition needs.
So I asked her- Where do you even start to help people focus on lifestyle changes instead of the toxic diet culture? What are your top five ways to get fit and see results fast? She was super helpful in listing specific things people can do to make real changes that are encouraging and totally attainable. Read them below!
Hi, Laura here!!
Fall is always an exciting fresh start: the start of football season, the start of school, the start of leaves changing colors and cozy candles and lattes! But Fall is also when we get busier, the days get shorter, and maybe some stress creeps in. If you’re looking to get fit this Fall, you may find yourself tempted to go to extremes for fast results. Don’t burn yourself out or sacrifice your enjoyment of the season! For a truly fit AND healthy Fall that gives you results that last through the new year, use these tips to focus on the right things and avoid the wrong things!
- DON’T intermittent fast, but DO have a consistent eating schedule. If you have a packed schedule, make sure you pencil in times to eat every 4-5 hours. Intermittent fasting can actually increase your body’s stress levels, which when paired with shorter days and busier schedules will make you feel so much worse. Fuel your body with 3 meals and 1-2 snacks per day to keep your energy up. Eating often enough will help prevent stress-fueled snacking!
- DON’T get hangry, but DO focus on increasing your lean protein. With so many delicious Fall treats around, it’s easy to live off of pumpkin loaves and caramel lattes, but these things won’t keep you full for long! Eating plenty of lean protein will keep hunger at bay for longer and lead to less cravings, which means you’ll be in a great mood and mindfully enjoy Fall treats instead of grabbing them out of pure hunger.
- DON’T cut carbs, but DO focus on high-fiber carbs! Carbs are not the enemy for your fitness goals, and they actually help fuel your workouts so much better. High-fiber carbs will balance your blood sugar and regulate your digestion so you have more sustained energy throughout the day and makes you less likely to overeat. Try some oats, beans, brussels sprouts, and squash for fall-themed fiber sources.
- DON’T eliminate “bad” foods, but DO prioritize your favorite foods. There are no such things as “good” or “bad” foods, but foods have different purposes. Pure enjoyment is an important purpose! It may be tempting to cut out treat foods for your fitness goals, but this can decrease your satisfaction with food and lead to overeating when you finally allow yourself to eat your favorites, which then leads to guilt! Instead, make sure you purposely fit in the fun foods you love most on a regular basis. Focus on the ones that truly satisfy you and aim for a smaller serving size to have regularly.
- DON’T do cardio for hours, but DO aim for 20-30 minutes of fun exercise. If you have fitness goals this Fall but you’re short on time, it’s all about working smarter and not harder! You don’t need long gym sessions to see results, especially if you view it as a chore you won’t stick with. Aim for movement that you would do regardless of the calorie burn, like a quick dance class, a boxing session, a walk in the Fall leaves with your dog. If you love it, you’ll stick with it all season and see better results in the long run.
- DON’T overhaul your lifestyle, DO make small, lasting changes. No matter what your goals are, no one has ever totally changed their lifestyle all at once and stuck with it! Instead of overwhelming yourself, try 1 small habit change at a time that adds health and fitness to your day. The easier it feels, the better it is for lasting results. Don’t forget to celebrate your progress!
We hope this was helpful and encouraging. You can do it, girlfriend. And if you need us, we are here to help you along the way. If you’re interested in learning more from Laura, follow her on IG @busygalnutrition and send her a DM!
XX Emily & Laura